Page titles

Thursday 28 May 2015

Life's little learning opportunities :-)

Today I realised 2 things:

1) It's much more challenging being pregnant during the school holidays than I thought it might be!

2) Children need just as much time to rest during the holidays as adults do!

Quite a lot of things have gone wrong today (actually, this whole week if I'm honest!).  I've crammed in too much......I'm really quite exhausted and I'm missing feeling my usual calm and relaxed self.  It's been hard to find that balance this week between providing the kids with things to do and giving them time to rest as well.  I had a notion that I'd fill our time together and make it 'fun' - off to a different place or meeting different people each day.

It has been lovely, but I've realised we've barely been at home......just relaxed or doing simple, fun things together.  I think I might have made a few wrong choices and most days we've had an extremely tired 4-year-old who is grumpy and sad by the end of the day :-(  You can just end up feeling so full of responsibility as a Mum!  I could blame myself all day for everything that happens here......but my intentions were well placed at least :-)

I could sit and list all the things that have been a disaster this week......and really to anyone else the things really aren't that bad but of course we are always so hard on ourselves!  It would end up quite a long, self-critical list!  But really, what would be the point in this?  Would it change anything or actually do any good whatsoever?  Overall the kids have had a nice time and, to be honest, I'm glad these hiccups have happened.  I'm glad for the chance to have a just-okay-ish week.  Because now I have something to learn from.  Something to do differently next time.  And isn't this a much better way to look at life's little challenges?  I like to call them 'learning opportunities' :-) And now I know that I should always keep extra baby-wipes and nappies on me when we're out......I should always have change......I should never cram in too much and neglect rest time and housey things.  And perhaps the swimming lessons each morning before meeting friends might have been a little much too!  Although 4-year-old has had a great time :-)  I am learning my limitations - and better now than during the long Summer hols!

(This post is actually rather ironic given my tips for self-care in our last blog!  Hmm......just off the re-read that one ;-)  Got to love a learning opportunity, right?)

Gemma xx


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment