Page titles

Sunday 22 June 2014

Being fully present

It seems when I write blog posts, they're a bit like buses........you wait for ages then two or more come along at once!  Still it's good to be in the flow for now - which really links to the theme of this post.  Being present.

I've realised that I can accomplish so much more if I am fully present to what I'm doing. I notice this more and more particularly when I feel overwhelmed by my 'To do' list. Over the last few days I've tried an experiment to see what happens if I push all the 'To do' thoughts out of my mind while I focus on doing one thing at a time.

An interesting outcome is that I'm getting things finished (instead of procrastinating because I don't know which thing to start/do/finish first!) and this is having a positive effect on my self esteem and confidence - because things are getting done with relative ease.

Don't for one minute think this is easy (sounds a lot easier than it really is) as my mind is constantly trying to draw my attention to all those other things that also need doing and 'right now'! But by bringing myself back to the present and giving my full attention to the task in hand I find I enjoy it more and have a wonderful sense of achievement when it is done.

For example, right now, I am working on hanging beach huts for our market night coming up next week (yes it is only a week away......!) while at the same time my mind is drawing my attention to preparing for an interview, starting a painting, mowing the lawn,  choosing the paint colour for my kitchen, washing the car and other assorted tasks that really needed doing yesterday.  There's quite a battle going on!



But by being fully present I'm loving the creating and stitching process far more, by giving it my full attention, than when I'm feeling distracted by thinking about what happened yesterday or what might or might not happen tomorrow - both of which are a waste of my energy and detract from the pleasure I would otherwise get from the creation I am working on right now.  

I'm guessing this will be a lifelong journey..................

Shirley x

2 comments:

  1. Such good advice. I have a few things on ny mind, but i'm going to try and focus on each thing rather than all at once! Thank you X

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Alexandra I'm so glad you're going to give it a try. Being present is something I aspire to be as often as possible, although it's hard to maintain - but the good thing is that I'm now more able to recognise when I'm not fully present so can work on bringing myself back to that state in a conscious way. Good luck!

    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete