Page titles

Wednesday 6 August 2014

A little adventure

I'm blogging from the car today (I'm not driving, don't worry!). We're off on a little adventure to the seaside :-) 


We actually live fairly close to the sea but we're venturing out to the north of Essex instead and it's a bit of a sentimental journey too as it's the town my grandparents used to live in <3 I plan to write throughout our day so this post may appear a little fast-forwarded!

I haven't been to Frinton for a long time; I was just saying to Mum, it must be about 15 years? I'm looking out for places that I might recognise but nothing yet. Mum is telling me stories of Grandma & Grandad and where they lived. They were adventurous with moving - followed their hearts but weren't afraid of admitting something hadn't worked out and changing tracks. They retired to Bexhill-on-Sea but when it didn't work out they moved to Frinton which is where we are today :-)

* * * * * * * * * * * * 

We've arrived! We didn't think we were going to get parked but found a perfect spot by some beach huts - and even better, the parking is free! 


This place has a lovely feel to it; it's not at all a commercial seaside resort. There are no beach cafés and no litter either! It's no surprise to see the blue flag flying proudly :-)


There's just something about being on the beach isn't there? Barefoot and connecting with the earth. I could get used to spending this much time outdoors. Even having our 4-year-old & 18-month-old with us, everyone is happy, they are having a great time. They can be free in this place :-)
  
  


This place is a perfect example of simplicity...no beach cafés, obvious toilets or typical noisy seaside attractions. Yes, it might have just been a little bit of a challenge and (and long walk - can blame the Husband for a poor sense of direction with that one!) to find an ice cream, but I love it here! I don't for one moment miss the noisy arcades, doughnut stand and litter everywhere! I just want to come to the beach...to enjoy the beach :-)


************
We've been so lucky with the tides having not checked them before we left. We've just watched it come in quickly and boy did it speed up! It's the perfect way to decide when to leave the beach - a natural conclusion to the day :-) We had lots of fun building a last minute castle with moat and watching the water engulf it. 


It was only at that moment that it really hit me how dangerously fierce our oceans are; how powerful water is. In seconds our castles were gone; they didn't have a chance. 


It suddenly in that moment felt very vulnerable to be standing there, very out of control. I can liken this to that feeling when, in life, you're suddenly hit by something. It doesn't have to be big. Often for me in the past it might be a low feeling that suddenly hits one morning and you can't seem to shift. It comes on so quickly and catches you unawares. Not quite the same but you catch my drift :-)

I'd thoroughly recommend a visit to Frinton :-) All in all a lovely day filled with laughs, memories and a ton of sand accidentally carried home which I still can't seem to vacuum up from our floor!

Gemma x

Follow us on Facebook
Tweet us @_theseashack
Be inspired on Pinterest
Shop with us on Etsy
Email us - theseashack@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment